Everyone keeps asking what we think of Japan.... Well, the truth is that it still feels like we're on an extended vacation! I think reality will set in more once we actually move into our new place. Here are a few things that we're still getting used to:
1. The food. Most of the food that we've had in town is great, but I would give anything for a California burrito or a super beef from Gordo's. Oh, and I miss Yelp. Walking into a restaurant and ordering blindly is soooo 1990s...
2. The cost. It is so insanely expensive here. We've found that maybe the best thing to do is to stop converting everything to dollars. It's just too painful.
3. The roads. I once thought that the hardest thing about driving here would be staying on the left side of the road, but that was easy to adjust to. The hardest thing is navigating through the unbelievably narrow streets.
4. Earthquakes. Yes, we're from California, but that doesn't make earthquakes any less traumatizing. We just experienced our first one here and someone who has been here much longer than we have said that we'll get used to it. Eeek! They happen THAT often?!
5. Oh, and the foreign language factor! Cooper has already picked up a few words, I continually stretch my Japanese to the limit, and Justin has been studying a lot... but it's going to be quite a while before any of us get comfortable trying to communicate in town. Thank God the people here are super patient and friendly!
More pics to come...